Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Don't Compare Him!


Idris Elba did an interview with Allhiphop.com and talked about working with Denzel Washington in his new movie "American Gangster." He also talked about why he hates being compared to Denzel. Check it out: AllHipHop.com: Your next film is American Gangster. How was it like working with Denzel Washington? All your scenes were with Denzel right?



Idris Elba: Yeah they were. Honestly, I really can’t talk about what it was like working with Denzel the person, it was the character he was playing. Denzel is a method actor, so Denzel the person wasn't there; it was the character 'Frank Lucas' that he was playing. And was that amazing? Of course, because he was very dedicated to that character, and I walked into a room with an actor that is giving 110%, but there are no real personal stories that I can give you. I respect him as an actor.



Too be honest, I don't like talking about Denzel Washington, because in America for some reason people keep saying the next 'Denzel Washington' when my name is mentioned, and I get annoyed with that.

AllHipHop.com: Why does that annoy you?



Idris Elba: Well I think that's kind of limiting me. He's great, but is that it? Is that the best that there is? Is he the best that ever did it? I don't think so. There are some fantastic amazing actors that I rather be compared to that haven't even broken yet.

2 comments:

wordswork02 said...

I previously posted this comment under the wrong story. Wanna read it, here it go (with edits).
-----------------------------------------

Okay, this guy is a pompous, arrogant jerk! How dare he not give Denzel his props! If Denzel wanted to, he probably could have prevented Mr. Elba from being in the movie at all.

I bet if people compared him to Robert De Niro he'd take the compliment.

No, Mr. Elba, you will not be the next or future Denzel because you don't know where you came from and who paved the way for you. Try paying respect to the masters.

Note to Mr. Elba: When you have 2 Oscars sitting on the mantle, then you can talk trash about Denzel. Until then, keep your big flapper shut!

TLUV said...

Settle down wordswork! Check ya blood pressure. I USED to love him but, don't nobody talk bad about my Denzel!