Tuesday, September 29, 2009

STOP THE VIOLENCE!


I had to wait a few days to talk about Derrion Albert. Much discussion about this young man on twitter but, I needed a day. I am beyond livid with the careless violence in OUR communities. You can't run from it, if you're bringing it with you! When did our children stop valuing life? What year was it that OUR children made murder a sport? People think I'm too strict on my son. To them I say, "I'm trying to keep him alive!" God gives us children and he says, "Take care of this precious package until I come back for him/her." Taking care of that precious package is what I intend to do. When I think about this all "A" student being beaten to death in the street and people would rather videotape than protect, I AM SICKENED! The four boys did this world a grave injustice! Derrion could have cured cancer. Derrion could have made the paralyzed walk again. Derrion could have found a cure for A.I.D.S! We'll never know because he chose schooling over gangs! To parents: Let's stop trying to be popular with our children and get on their backs! Teach them the importance of prayer and being civil with one another! Most importantly, TALK TO THEM! Please keep the Albert family in your prayers. Pray for the 4 young men who did this crime. Most of all just pray.......

2 comments:

wordswork02 said...

This was a shame. I didn't watch the video and I refuse to do so. As I said on Twitter, I'm tired of folks picking up a camera instead of calling the police because they think they might make some money from the video.

When I heard that there was video, I couldn't help but think about Rodney King. Yes, that video provided proof and helped identify the officers responsible for that beating, but I also couldn't help but think that the beating would have been considerably abbreviated if the guy with the camera would have yelled out or made his presence known. Those officers knew they were wrong.

As for Derrion, I don't understand how kids could do something like this to another kid. What's happened to our kids' humanity and compassion? It's easy to blame music videos and games, and some of the fault should lie with the violence in found in those media for desensitizing the viewers to real life violence, but most of the fault is with the parents, in the home -- that is, if these kids even have homes.

And weren't there other kids watching? What was wrong with THEM? Every high school kid has a cell phone. Why didn't someone call for help (or call sooner) instead of watching? I was in high school once and I know how kids salivate at the thought of seeing a fight.

Maybe the Derrion video will serve a higher purpose to let the rest of the country know what's going on in some black communities, just like the footage of riots and violence helped change hearts and minds during the Civil Rights Movement.

But Derrion's death is shameful... just shameful.

TLUV said...

I did not watch the video because I have a son. I could put him in Derrion's place and I would lose my mind. Not a day goes by when I don't have some sort of conversation with my son. I am aware of what he is doing when he is at home. Walking past your kids and talking on the phone is not "knowing what they are doing!" Kids want to know that WEcare enough to check on them. The kids that didn't call were probably scared! If I were stuck in the middle of two gangs, I don't know what I'd do either! It's just sad that SOME people choose education and others are hell-bent on trying to stop them! I read an article on the boys accused of this crime and their mothers! ALL MOTHERS! One mother said, "I watched the video and that IS my son, I am sorry and my condolences go out to Derrion's family!" She sounded defeated and exasperated! I bet he had been giving her problems for a while but, she felt she had no help. I believe that there are people who want, desperately, to go to jail. Well, ask and ye shall receive!" Unfortunately, he took an innocent life. Pray for his soul.