Saturday, November 08, 2008

Shameful...


So, I was reading about the ban on Prop 8 in California. I am really pissed! Would you want someone telling you who you can and cannot marry? NO! If you can't think about it from that point of view, think about it this way: My father passed away and left his life insurance to me. This money was for me to decide where to bury him and how. I decided on his burial place and was met with contention. My grandmother(daddy's mother) was not happy! She wanted him buried at a National Cemetery that was 3 hours away from my home. It was a free burial but, it was too far. In the end, I made the final decision. It cost me alot. I lost the love of my family (on my father's side). Can you imagine, someone telling you what to do with your loved one? Basically, gay marriage is to ensure that upon the death or illness of their loved one, the parents or children cannot stop them from being in on the decision-making process. Why is that wrong? This ban needs to be rescinded! Somehow! Today! Stop Blaming African Americans! Religion is the culprit!!!!

2 comments:

wordswork02 said...

Yes, it's sad. There is a really good article on The Daily Kos refuting the prominence of African Americans in the passage of Prop 8. According to this blogger, there is no way blacks could have made up 70% of the votes for that proposition considering the way CNN conducted its polling and the distribution of the black electorate in California.

Consider this, we only make up about 6.2% of the CA population and there are probably only about 1 million black who are old enough and eligible to vote. And of that 1 million, only about 720,000 black people actually went to the polls to vote.

Yet, there were 5.3 million votes cast in favor of Prop 8. So how in the heck could blacks make up 70% of that number? You do the math.

It's a very interest - if stat-heavy - article that can be found here: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/11/7/34645/1235/704/656272

TLUV said...

People always laying the blame on us! I'm telling you it was the religious. Preachers telling their flocks to follow the Bible. If you can sway your followers, then you should let go of your tax-exempt status You are obviously playing politics! What happened to separation of Church and State?