Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I Think She's Right!


Well, partly. Gabrielle Union and Nia Long and Sanaa Lathan are on the cover of Essence Magazine for the holidays. Nice pictorial! The ladies discuss the "gossip blogs" written by people of color. It went like this:
Gabrielle: Just last week somebody gave me a baby. This isn’t Perez Hilton or the White gossip people, these are women of color, specifically Black women who, for whatever reason, don’t like the company I keep.

Sanaa: She’s talking about the gossip sites.
Essence: The blogs.

Sanaa: That are run by Black women.

Gabrielle: And now because everyone is clamoring for celebrity tidbits, the bigger gossip sites and even mainstream entities are picking up on it. No fact-checking, no nothing. And in one week’s time, there were like five different dudes, a baby—I’m a homewrecker. In literally seven days. I can’t point the finger at the White media. They don’t care about us. Paparazzi are not staked out in front of any of our houses. They are not going through our garbage because they don’t care about us in that way. So when you hear crap about us, it is coming from our own community, which hurts.

I feel compelled to speak on this. First, let's not lump all the bloggers together. I am an African American woman who blogs. I try to weed out the BS and fact find. I simply don't print the absurd! I find that majority of the African American bloggers are males. I think people thirst to know anything about the stars. Black people especially want a piece of you because the media doesn't show your private life. I don't wish that the paparazzi followed you around but you'd be more appreciative, if they did. I wouldn't care what people said about me as long as I can shop or eat, in peace. Note to Gabrielle: Be careful what you wish for. If African American bloggers didn't keep you relevent, you wouldn't be!

1 comment:

wordswork02 said...

Funny how Gabrielle didn't say anything about being a slutty party girl. I guess that stuff IS true. KUDOS to you, TLUV, for telling it like it T-I- is.

Miss Union is just trying to throw shade on your knowledge.

Note to ON-AND-POPPIN readers: Don't believe the hype, people!