Saturday, November 29, 2008

What In The World........


Is Black Friday that important? Saving $3 makes a crowd murderous? The tragedy at Wal-Mart is disgusting. The people involved feel no remorse. Even after being told to leave because a man was killed, they hollered, "I've been in line since Thursday!" Read the accounts, according to People.com,
"In a hurry to take advantage of holiday discounts at a Long Island, N.Y., Wal-Mart, hundreds of shoppers busted through the store's front door, trampling a maintenance worker to death.

The 34-year-old man, whose name has not been released, tried to contain the growing crowd when the store opened for its annual Black Friday sale at 5 a.m. But shoppers surged into the store, knocking the man down and stepping on him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the New York Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Emergency crews were called to save the man's life, but shoppers continued to rush past the scene until police shut down the Valley Stream store. The man was then taken to nearby Franklin Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m.

Wal-Mart called the death "a tragic situation," in a statement released Friday. "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority."

But Nassau County Det. Lt. Michael Fleming told the New York Times that the store could have worked harder to prevent this situation.

"I've heard other people call this an accident, but it's not," he tells the Times. "This certainly was foreseeable."
Pray for these people! Most importantly, keep the family of the deceased in ya prayers.

2 comments:

wordswork02 said...

I had seen blurbs about this, but I hadn't read the actual stories. Stupid me, I thought the "Killing at Wal-Mart" headlines referred to some kind of stand-off with an armed gunman in the store. Never would I have expected this.

If this had happened at a sporting event or a concert, that would be different. Not, mind you, understandable, but expected. I mean, people are more liable to get whipped up into a frenzy if their team is winning (or losing) or if their favorite singer is about to take the stage.

But for a pair of polyester pants made by under-age seamtresses in Third-World countries? I NEVER would have expected THAT!

What's wrong with people? Hermes? Perhaps. Saks Fifth Avenue? Maybe. But I'm not killing somebody to get into Wal-Mart. It ain't happening, Son!

TLUV said...

I refuse to stand in long lines to pay for something at Wal-Mart! I will never trample someone for those designer knock-offs! The plastic purses and the leather-upper shoes! By the way wordswork, are you from New York? I noticed the use of the word "son".