Monday, February 16, 2009

Woody Allen Is Colorblind!



Yes, he doesn't want any people of color in his films. Angela Basset agrees! She had this to say about Woody Allen:
“I mean, to have one black cast member for the whole film seems rather strange, and, oh yes, she’s a prostitute, of course,” said the actress who portrayed Tina Turner in the biopic What’s Love Got to Do With it? “Don’t get me wrong, I love Spain and it looked beautiful, but that part of the world is so diverse and, really, what is that about?”

Although Allen has succeeded in signing up Sir Anthony Hopkins and Josh Brolin to appear in his next film, which is set in London, the 50-year-old American actress added that she had herself no desire to work for him. “I wouldn’t want to,” she told Mandrake at the premiere of Notorious, a film about the late rap singer the Notorious B.I.G. “He’s a little weird.”

8 comments:

Lady Di said...

Tluv, I might need some 'splainin'on this. I feel a wee lost... forgive me. MW is running my ability to think outside of the bank vault, uhmmmmmmmm bank heist. I mean..............

TLUV said...

Well, it's been well known that Woody Allen makes alot of movies about New York! Yet, there have been few African-Americans in his movies! When he had the chance to hire an African-American, he cast her as a prostitute!

Lady Di said...

Ahhhhhhhh, I see, I see. Sad but he's managed to get away with it for so long, huh?

TLUV said...

Yes! He's not the only one, though! Remember "Friends?" How can a sitcom be set in New York and only have one black character? That character was Aisha Tyler and she didn't appear until Season 9! Spike Lee has had to deal with people saying that he didn't employ enough white actors! Yet, Woody Allen has one black character? Black actors put up with it because, they still need to pay the bills! It's sickening!

Lady Di said...

You jut educated me Tluv. For the longest when Friends was up against NY Undercover, I thought the show ended with not one black appearance in their portfolio. Never watched an entire ep, nor did I need to.

TLUV said...

I refused to watch it! You can't stretch your arms out in New York without hitting an African-American! LOL

Lady Di said...

So true Tluv, so true.

Anonymous said...

He is defintely not the only one gulity of this. As there are some african american shows who even discriminate against their own race. To me even Oprah hires only a few blacks in her key positions, which is why she has white doctors, white makeover home decorators and white adviors. She has one maybe two? producers who picks the topics for her shows, which is why her topics dominate white topics and white guest who appear on her show. I was finally through with her show when there were gifted children on her show. The white "so called gifted children" on her show were scientist, genuis, opera singer, gifted artist and for the talented gifted african american child here comes the tap dancer. Now please the african american people and our children have come a long way than tap dancing. If you notice in hollywood their is a paring with a the lead character being a white man with an african american woman or an african man with a white woman. In chicago on the news shows anchors are always either white women and ONE african man. Or One african american woman and white men Very, Very rarely do u see an african american anchor man with and african american woman. So go figure!!!!