Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Fightin Words!


Etta James has spoken! During a performance she talked about her feelings for Obama and Beyonce! She said, "The President with the big ears, he may be your President but he's not mine!" I didn't appreciate that comment but, I know where she is coming from. She is angry that Beyonce sang her song at the inauguration ball. She says, "She is gonna get her ass kicked!" She went on to say, "I can't stand Beyonce!" I couldn't understand why they had Beyonce sing the song when Etta James is still alive! Etta is pissed off and she don't care who knows! I can't wait to hear the response from Matthew Knowles. You know he is gonna put out a statement soon! Keep reading! If you wanna hear the audio go here: http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/rumors/default.aspx

The audio is low so turn up your volume! Scroll down to the news about Etta James and Beyonce! Thanks to allhiphop.com for this scoop!

4 comments:

Lady Di said...

I could not get the audio to play anywhere for me. But, I am curious to know, beofre placing judgment, is did Beyonce's people contact Etta's people to earn permission to perform the song there? I mean, I read where this is not Bey's first time performing it but more like the 3rd, even in Cadillac Records.

Is Etta having a permissions and/or money and/or notoriety problem?? Did Obama personally select who sang what song(s)? And if so, isn't he allowed to choose without fault of proper accreditation such as rights, $$ and etc., etc.???? Lost.....

TLUV said...

I don't think Etta is mad because of money or accreditation. I think it's a matter of respect. I remember before the inauguration Byonce did an interview and said that she would like to sing "At Last" for the new President. If the singer is stil alive, why would you sing their song? Beyonce couldn't sing her own songs because they are to raunchy! I think that Beyonce has a bad habit of opening her mouth and inserting her foot. Remember the Aretha Franklin/Tina Turner debacle? I think that the song "At Last" is an Etta James staple and She is still alive so she should have sang it!

wordswork02 said...

I wonder how Ms. James felt about Beyonce playing her in the movie "Cadillac Records." Maybe that's where the contempt for Miss B originally came from.

As far as the rights and permissions to sing the song goes, if Ms. James wrote the song and owns the publishing rights, I think she would have had to approve of it being sung for an audience, right?

But maybe she doesnt own the rights. A lot of artists from back in the day gave up those rights to buy extravagant things like... food. lol

But I don't think the inauguration slight is Beyonce's fault. What black performer would turn down that gig?

And a little grace on Ms. James part might teach the new kids a thing for two and prevent a war of words.

So how many older stars has Beyonce ticked off so far? I've lost count.

Lady Di said...

Interesting thoughts wordswork.